- Google Chrome for all platforms
- Google Classroom – Works in Chrome, Android, or iOS
- Google Meet – Works in Chrome, Android, or iOS
- What do I need for video lessons? You will need a steel pan with stand and mallets, a music stand, a good internet connection, and a computer or mobile device with a webcam. You may need an instructional book, which you can purchase online. We can refer you to reputable builders and sources for new or reconditioned pans.
- What type of computer do I need? You can access Google Classroom using the web on a computer with any browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. In general, Classroom supports major browser releases on a continual basis. Classroom is also available for Android and Apple® iOS® mobile devices. For more information, see Get the Classroom app.
- What video conference software do you use? We prefer Google Meet, but can use other platforms such as Zoom or FaceTime if necessary.
- Do I need to read music? You don’t need to know how to read music to begin lessons, but it will be an important part of your studies. Reading music and learning music theory will help your musical development.
- What is the lesson schedule? Our teachers are working musicians and teachers, so the lesson times and days can vary. We’ll work with you to find a time and day that is convenient. We are located in Florida, on (Eastern Standard Time, GMT-4).
- Steel Drums or Steel Pans? The correct term for the instrument is “Steel Pan” or just “Pan”. Steel Drum refers to the original barrel, which is fashioned into the steel pan instrument. In many places, the terms are used interchangeably. We do as well, since the term “Steel Drums” is widely used in the U.S.
- Where did Steel Pan originate? Trinidad and Tobago is the birthplace of the steel pan.
- What type of pan should I get? For most beginners, we recommend a fourths and fifths single tenor lead pan. It is the most common layout, and is great for learning music theory.
- What about the smaller beginner or tourist-type pans? We do not recommend the smaller, limited note range pans for serious study. At some point, you will hit a roadblock with these.